21 February 2012

Guest blogger: Samantha

I know I am a day late, and I am so sorry. I have had the flu and the blog had
some technical issues that I am still trying to work out!
 
"Hi everyone! My boyfriend, J, and I have been together for almost a year now. We've known each other since we were babies (our parents knew each other since high school). We grew up together and he is and always has been my best friend (sappy...I know). Well we lost touch here and there, but always managed to get back in contact with each other.
When J told me he was thinking of joining the Air Force, the first thought that came to my mind was, "Another person I love is leaving for the military…great." You see, I've had a number of friends, family members, and close friends of the family leave for the military. Before all of this, I would always say to myself and friends that I wouldn't ever date a military man. I always said dating a military man just wasn't for me, it was impossible. Hence, why I was upset, worried, disappointed, and much more. Despite all of these negative emotions, there was no question as to whether or not I would support J with his decision to join the Air Force. I loved him and that was all that mattered.
While he was in BMT we kept in touch by writing and our very short phone calls once in a while. I missed talking to him, but I would write to him and keep my letters positive. Despite the fact that I had an insane amount of class work and studying I had to do. I didn't want him worrying about me while he was in there; they had enough on their plates. When he graduated from BMT it was amazing to hear that the letters I sent him and our love for each other kept him positive.
So far, everything seems like we are the common military couple and we are in terms of the love we share and support we provide each other. However, there is one difference and that is that I am a full time pre-med student (INSANE). While he is in the Air Force, I will be graduating from college with my Bachelor's degree and attending medical school for 4 years. While in medical school, I won't have all the time in the world to talk to him, which is going to make things very difficult for us. Also, he's going to be missing out on a lot, such as my graduation from undergrad, my accelerated nursing program, and quite possibly medical school.
The whole point of me telling you about our story is to show that not all military couples marry and then follow each other wherever the military takes them. J and I don't have that option for the next few years, but this is me telling everyone that it IS possible. It is 100% possible to continue your education and be in a military relationship. I've had a lot of friends give up on their dreams to follow their loved ones and yes that's GREAT! I'm not downsizing their decisions AT ALL; I just know it's not for me. Then on the other hand, I have friends that struggle with maintaining their lives AND their relationships with the military being involved. Like I said before, it's a challenge, but we are military significant others, since when do we turn down a challenge??? J
I'm going to step off of my soap box now, but I am going to offer this…if anyone wants to talk or has anything on their minds about anything related to what I talked about here…here's my email address: srg5130@aol.com. PLEASE feel free to email me!
-Samantha"


Thank you for reading The Diary!
-OR-
Follow me on twitter: @Willis_Lacey
-OR-
Check out our pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/laceyyyy
-OR-
Email me for information about becoming a guest blogger at: diaryofanairforcegirlfriend@aol.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment