This is for the readers with an Airman currently in BMT. :)
How to survive when your other half is in AFBMT: (Plus some tips for grad week)
- Stay busy, choose a big project and stick to it.
- Join a support group. (Airman Swag, Military Issued Girlfriends, ect.)
- Talk to other military s/o's, they can help answer questions.
- Pamper yourself. (Admit it, you don't have much time to get your hair and nails done when your Airman is at home.)
- Keep a diary, maybe not a public one, but maybe keep one for him to see when he gets home. OR just keep a personal one that no one else can see.
- Go out for a night on the town, go dancing, go out to dinner, take your girl friends and have a good time!
- It's normal to feel guilty when you have fun while he is stuck in miserable BMT, but you deserve it.
- Curl up with a good book, or watch a good movie. (I do not recommend Dear John, I cried for hours after watching it. Good movie, just not a brilliant idea to watch it while he's in basic and your only communication is letters.)
- Stay strong.
- Write him a letter every night before bed, write to him as if your talking to him on the phone about your day.
- When you send him letters include pictures of yourself, you guys together, or of their pets.
- Send him funny pictures, D got a kick out of it and so did the rest of the men in his flight.
- Make sure to always tell him that you love him, reassure that you are there for him and you aren't going any where.
- When you get to talk to him on the phone, joke with him, there isn't much time for laughing in basic.
- If you can't wait until you get to kiss him, hold his hand, or give him hugs, tell him that. Let him know you miss him, he needs that reassurance.
- The simple fact is, many girls end things with their Airman while they are in basic, you need to let him know that you are not that girl.
- It's gonna be hard, you've got to put on your big girl panties and deal with it. You have to get up in the morning and kick ass! You have to be independent.
- Buy yourself some AF pride gear, especially if you are going to BMT graduation!
- Always let him know how proud you are of him. He needs your support.
- Stay faithful, you will have moments of weakness, but don't do it.
- If you go to his graduation, buy him some candy. (Trust me, buy A LOT)
- At the coin ceremony, he isn't allowed to move until you touch him and talk to him; even then, he will be afraid to move.
- Yell for him during the Airman's run, make signs, wear air force gear, you won't be alone.
- It might take you a while to recognize your Airman at the graduation ceremony, don't feel bad, they all look the same with their shaved heads.
- Take a ton of pictures!!
- Your Airman will pretty much talk a different language during the first few hours, just tell them to put it in civilian terms.
- ABSOLUTELY no PDA in uniform, don't take it personally. Don't even do it off base, off duty MTI's will bitch them out in public. (holding hands and interlocking arms is PDA)
- Don't touch your Airman's hat, don't do it, it will piss them off.
- When you visit dorms, if there is something shiny, do not step on it or touch it.
- Make sure your Airman makes curfew.
- Don't do anything that can be taken as flirting with his fellow Airmen.
- Honesty is key when it comes to military relationships.
If you are a military s/o who has survived BMT and you have any tips to add, feel free to email me
at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Diary's facebook page and post it there.